6/1/2012 License Renewal Changes
The PT and OT Boards have adopted changes to their rules, effective June 1, 2012, that affect individual and facility renewals. The changes:
- Eliminate the use of the online transaction receipt as proof of licensure or registration, and
- Eliminate the printing and mailing of the renewal certificate and all wallet cards by the agency.
What this means for Licensees, Employers and Facility Owners
1. Renewals Must be Verified on the Website.
Once the Board has processed a renewal and verified that all information has been submitted appropriately, the license will be renewed and the expiration date will be updated on the Board’s Look Up a License page. Licensees, employers, and facilities should rely on the Board’s website for proof of current licensure. The Board’s website is the most secure source of license information. A paper document is not considered a secure method for verifying current licensure.
2. A License and Registration must be renewed BEFORE THE END OF THE EXPIRATION MONTH for uninterrupted provision of services.
- For PTs, PTAs, OTs, OTAs and facilities, the most important thing to note is that you should renew your license online at least two business days before the license expiration date to avoid interruption of licensure, since the transaction receipt no longer authorizes you to continue to work. You may not provide PT or OT services if your license is not shown as current on the Board’s website.
- If all of the required items and information are submitted appropriately, a license or facility registration completed online should be updated online within 1 business day. If there is something missing from your renewal, or you owe a late fee, the renewal will not be processed until you complete the renewal requirements.
- If a license or registration is submitted online on Friday, Saturday, Sunday or a state holiday, it will be processed and updated on the next business day.
- No late fees will be assessed if the renewal is completed online prior to the expiration date.
- The transaction receipt you receive when the online renewal process should still be retained for your financial records.
3. Licensees and Facilities print their Statements of Licensure from the website.
All licenses and registrations can be verified on the website, regardless of status or currency. However, only individuals with current, active licenses and facilities with current registrations may print out a statement of licensure or registration from the Board’s Look Up a License page to display for renewal purposes. If your license or registration is not current, you will not be able to print the statement.
To print the individual statement of licensure, you must know the SSN and Date of Birth of the licensee. Only the licensee, or someone to whom the licensee has given that confidential information, has access to this printed statement of licensure.
You may change the size of the statement in any way you need to for display purposes. You may also use the print out in place of a wallet card, but there is no requirement to do so.
Steps for printing a licensee statement of current license
2. Click on “Verify a PT or PTA” or “Verify an OT or OTA”
3. Click on the SSN and DOB tab.
4. Click on the “Print statement of licensure” link below the licensee information.
5. Click on the word “print” in the upper right hand of the statement.
Steps for printing a facility statement of current license
To print a statement of facility registration, you must know the facility registration number.
2. Click on the Facility Registrations tab.
3. Click on “Verify a Facility.”
4. Click on the Search by License tab.
5. Enter the Registration Number.
6. Click on the “Print statement of licensure” link below the licensee information.
7. Click on the word “print” in the upper right hand of the statement.