*Look up your School Code for your online renewal before you begin.
Renewals must be taken on laptops or desktops, not on assistive devises.
**Report your CE and Take the Jurisprudence Exam to Renew your license. Report Your Continuing Education, take the Jurisprudence Exam, and get your Key Code. Press the "Add Course" button.
**ALREADY HAVE YOUR KEY CODE?
Renew and Pay Online after you have taken the JP Exam and have a Key Code
Warning: Make sure you are using the latest version of your browser.
To print out a proof of licensure, go to Look up a License, and do a look up by SSN and DOB (Social Security # & Date of Birth): http://www.ptot.texas.gov/license-search-ot?view=search&;
Renewal Requirements and Procedures
All Occupational Therapy Practitioners in Texas must renew their licenses every two years before their expiration at the end of the licensees’ birth month. The Board notifies all active and inactive licensees approximately 2-3 months before the licenses expire, but the ultimate responsibility for timely renewal falls on each licensee. In other words, even if you do not receive a renewal notice, you are subject to late fees and disciplinary action if you continue to practice after your license expires. The online renewal process is available to current, active licensees only. Those wanting to change their status, for example from active status to inactive or retired status must use the paper renewal form which may be printed out from the Forms Page.
You can work once you have verified your renewed license on the board's verification page. Choose to verify by last 4 digits of your SSN and your birth date and you will see a link below which when opened will be a printable statement of licensure.
The requirements for renewal are:
- The renewal fees: (see current fees) and completion of the renewal form, on paper or online.
- Completion of the required Continuing Education requirement which includes courses and other activities (§367.2 in OT Rules). The requirement is (CE) 30 contact hours with a minimum of 15 of the CE contact hours in Type 2 reported on the CE Submission Form either online or paper renewal.
- Passing score on the online Jurisprudence Examination(JP) Exam. This is an open book 20 question test based on the OT Practice Act and the OT Board Rules. These are free to download from: http://www.ptot.texas.gov/occupational-therapy/ot-board/ot-act-rules
- Current and correct information on your home and/or business contact information (address and phone number) A Physical Home Address is required, but you may also supply a different mailing address. You must chose an Address of Record, the address that is shared with the public. If you do not chose an Address of Record, your home, mailing or work address, the default is your home or mailing address if there is one.
- Your Social Security Number or the affidavit from the Forms Page that you do not presently have one.
- Submit all items above prior to the license expiration date to avoid late fees.
- If you named since your renewal, send/fax a copy of the marriage certificate or other legal documents for the name change BEFORE you do the renewal so that your renewed license reflects your current name. You cannot change your name onlne.
IF YOU ARE LATE:
- Stop practicing and finish up your CE or your renewal. There is no violation unless or until you practice with an expired license.
- If you are late 90 days or more in renewing your license, you must submit copies of your completed CE, along with the renewal form.
- Chapter 370, License Renewal contains the information regarding renewals and Chapter 367, Continuing Education for information about continuing education requirements.
- Requirements and fees are subject to change at any time due to legislative, judicial or board action.
Last Minute Online Renewal -
- You may renew your license at any time in the three months prior to its expiration date.
- The Texas Online System is occasionally unavailable due to scheduled and unscheduled maintenance, other maintenance and issues beyond the agency's control. If your renewal is delayed by these or other events and you do not complete the renewal process before midnight on the day your license expires, you will be subject to late fees. If the month changes over the weekend and the online system allows you to renew late, you will still be subject to late fees if you time stamp is later than midnight on the last day of your birth month.
- Take the Jurisprudence Exam (for renewals) and when you pass the exam, you will receive an Exam Keycode. This is a combination of letters and numbers which you need to use as your password to access the renewal application and payment system,
CE Submission Form Instructions and Helpful Tips:
- Your CE Submission Form is available for 3 months until the last day of your birth month.
- The new form will allow Type 1 and Type 2 activities on the same line
- You can enter partial CE hours, such as 3.5 or 2.75 hours.
- You can enter all your CE hours, more than 30. The recommendation is to take more than the minimum 15 hours of Type 2, in case 1 course is disallowed in an audit.
- You can print out the CE submission Form your own records.
- The program is looking for a minimum of 30 hours with a minimum of 15 in Type 2 before it will move on to the JP exam. Therefore, you can add hours during those 90 days of eligibility until you click, "Submit."
- You can enter your CE one day and return days later to find this entry still on the CE Submission Form, saved for more entries
- You can remove or edit an entry by looking at the end of the row, far right and click on the x to remove the entry.
Why can't I find myself online when I enter my last name and license number?
You are NOT able to renew online if:
1. You are NOT current or NOT active. This mean if you have an inactive, retired license or expired license. Contact the Renewal Department, 512/305-6900.
2. There a hold on your license because you have not resolved your arrangement to pay child suport or student loans. If so, make these arrangements and ask that agency to contact the Board.
3. We we NOT have your Social Security Number (SSN) on file. If you have one, you must supply it to the Board. If you do not have one, visit the Forms page and download the SSN form that says you do not presently have a SSN.
4. You are looking for yourself with another name. In order to change your name you must provide a copy of the court documents that allowed the change. Examples are a marriage certificate, divorce document, adoption papers. The Board requires a copy which may be faxed of these official court documents in order to change your name. You do not have to change your name, however if you want to continue to use your maiden name as your professional name.
License Renewal Process – Browser and Operating System Issues – updated 7/9/2012
NOTE: The renewal process does not appear to work on an iPad. You must use a computer.
CE Submission Form – Browser Issues If you are trying to enter CE activities and the boxes are not lined up correctly, you are using a browser ( or a specific version of that browser) that does not support the CE page properly. We recommend using Google Chrome (click on this link to go to the Chrome download site http://bit.ly/rEc8KK)or Opera (http://www.opera.com/download/), which both seem to work. If you are using Internet Explorer 8 or 9, you can first try the “compatibility view” feature of IE as described below. We also recommend trying another computer that might have a different operating system.
Jurisprudence Exam – Operating System Issues If you can’t see the green arrow on the jurisprudence exam page or the green keycode when you have passed the exam, you are probably using Internet Explorer 8 (IE8). If you are using Windows 7 or Vista, you should update your version of Internet Explorer to IE9. Versions after IE8 do not have this problem. However, if you are using Windows XP, you will have to use a browser other than Internet Explorer, as XP will not run IE9. We recommend Google Chrome or Opera.
Internet Explorer – Compatibility View For IE8 or users, a new button located in the navigation bar just to the right of the address bar (next to the refresh button) controls the Compatibility View feature, which allows for a fix for older browser versions. It’s the little broken page circled below. You may not see this button unless you have clicked on the ADD A COURSE button to enter a CC course AND the boxes are not lined up correctly.
If your page is not functioning properly, click on the Compatibility View button and wait for the page to refresh. If your page still does not look right, and you don’t see the Compatibility View button, click on the ‘Tools’ icon in your menu bar, then click on “Compatibility View Settings”. You should see this screen.
Do the following: 1. Ensure that the box ‘Display all websites in Compatibility View’ is NOT checked. 2. Highlight texas.gov and click the ‘Remove’ button
The CE Submission Form is set up to receive two year's worth of CE submission and not those out-side of the renewal period. This is a problem as we give new licensees the time from the day the license is issued until the last day of their birth month to take continuing education. Call the office if this is a problem for you, 512/305-6900 and speak to the Renewal Department.
2. Can I work with the Receipt page from my online renewal? Yes. However you need to contact the board in two weeks if you have not received the renewal card. The receipt only allows you to work for up to 30 days. If you do not print out the receipt page, the agency personnel do not have access to that page, so you will have to wait to receive the renewal card. Procrastinators beware!